Who IS this guy?!

'Niceguy' Eddie

Political Talk Show Host and Internet Radio Personality. My show, In My Humble Opinion, aired on RainbowRadio from 2015-2017, and has returned for 2021! Feel free to contact me at niceguy9418@usa.com. You can also friend me on Facebook.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Worst Kind of Research... UGH!

Some of you might be aware of a little writing project I'm doing.  That blog's serving as kind of a rough-draft.  Will it ever be anything else? Who knows.  In the meantime, it's a bit of personal and political indulgence that's been a fun creative excersise.

BUT I want to ground as much of the events, and the setting, in the real world as I can. (At least up until the end of the next two chapters, where the story will deviate, rather sharply with reality.) And RIGHT NOW, the story takes place in the weeks following the 2010 Mid-Term elections.  And in the chapter I'm currently working on, one of the charecters (Epiphany) is trying to convince the other (Edward) to act - to impliment his proposed plan - by bombarding him with Fox News, AM Talk Radio, etc... Almost as if to irritate him into doing that which goes against his better moral judgement.)

And I thought, rather than just making stuff up, (like Beck) why not use ACTUAL QUOTES from Fox, Hannity, Beck, Limbaugh, etc... from shows that aired on some of the days in question? I thought it would be cooler to use some of the actual nonsense, and actual lies being told by these people. And with the power of the internet, it would be child's play to find and download transcripts. And it was...

...which lead to a problem...

Have you ever tried READING though a WEEK'S worth of transcripts of the RUSH LIMBAUGH program?  OMFG, I think it gave me a brain tumor!

Then there was SEAN HANNITY'S "interview" with SARAH PALIN that aired that week. (And I put interview in quotes, becuase it would be more accurate to say that he rhetorically went down on her.) Halfway though I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!

Oh my God!

The clips and snippets that get posted on MMFA are bad enough, but taken IN THEIR ENTIRITY?! Taken IN CONTEXT?! They get WORSE by an order of magnitude!

I'm just trying to find a handful of quotes that I can sprinkle into a humorous part of a story - the kind of scene where one person turns on the the TV and hears [Palin - I wouldn't be out there apologizing for us being a superpower!] and the other one turns it off. (Only to have that repeat it self several times.)

But finding the most outrageous five seconds of an hour-long RW lovest (even longer in Limbaugh's case) requires reading a hundered times more than you'd ever want to.

I give the folks at MMFA (FAIR, etc...) credit. Because good lord, reading this much RW trash is enough to make my eyes bleed.

/rant

:)

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what the burn-out rate of Hannity/etc watchers at MMFA is. I can't listen to these cretins for more than a few seconds without starting to hypereventilate. Perhaps the day before my next check-up (BP 110/70 yesterday) I'll listen to one of them for an hour. I'm betting 220/140.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once wrote a book about Limbaugh. It required listening to long portions of his show almost daily for extended periods scattered over a number of years. I watched him on TV. I read the books he had written for him. I still have an extensive paper archive on him.

    I've had to do extensive original research on a number of righties over the years for various projects. For more than a year, I've been thinking about doing the same for John Hagee, since he is a particularly vile human being about which there has been almost no critical commentary (everyone writes about the same handful of instances with him).

    I've resisted for the very reason you outline--it really sucks to have to listen to all that bullshit. I used to be able to tolerate it a lot better; as I've gotten older, it has become more difficult. It just begins to chip away at your soul over time. As you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares into you.

    ReplyDelete